Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Matthiessen Sunday Review (Read 43938 times)
BristolBike

Yorkville, IL

Beginner

« on: September 07, 2010, 07:34:21 AM »

Had a great ride here on Sunday morning.  This place is worth the drive (about 45min southwest of SWK).  Big elevation changes, flowing twisty smooth singletrack and some fairly tech sections.  The trails are in great condition and well maintained. 

As I drove past this I thought it was perfect for mountain bikers http://www.papamurphs.com/starvedrockcamping.htm  basically a bar where you can camp in the parking lot...about 4 miles from the trails.   If you like cajun food then def. check this place out http://www.ronscajunconnection.com/ 
baudler

Plainfield, IL

Pro

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 08:53:03 AM »

Would you say a 29 SS or a full suspension 26 would be better there?
IllinoisRider
CAMBr Board Member
CAMBr North Treasurer

Slow but steady is my way

DuPage County

Pro

Type: Individual Basic

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 11:15:11 AM »

Would you say a 29 SS or a full suspension 26 would be better there?

There's some pretty good elevation changes.  You can ride it SS (Jerry did) if you don't mind walking a couple of big hills.  Hell, I walked the big hill with my geared bike!  Personally, I'd probably go with the full suspension 26.
Red Snail Racing
CAMBr Member
CAMBr Executive Director

Working together we will build a better ride.

Pro

Type: Individual Basic

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 01:04:58 PM »

There are a couple of tough climbs on a SS, particularly NFC Hill, which if you can pull with your every day SS gearing, you are a climbing machine.  But over all it's SS friendly.

If you are getting advice from me, I would strongly suggest you get a second opinion.
rrogers

Yorkville, IL

Semi-Pro

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 02:53:35 PM »

If I am not mistaken, when I hooked up with somebodys_eat_dan for a tour of the park earlier this year he was on a ss. He had no problem cleaning anything. I do not ss but I would say the trails are ss worthy.
mo50177

lombard

Expert

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 05:07:44 PM »

Any hills bigger than palos? Does the race coarse have alot of open sections like the meltdown coarse? Thanks
fattyr_Jr

Naperville, IL

Sport

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 07:33:56 PM »

Any hills bigger than palos? Does the race coarse have alot of open sections like the meltdown coarse? Thanks
The hills are definitely bigger than anything at palos and there were open sections last year, not sure if it was more than the meltdown.
mo50177

lombard

Expert

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 09:20:24 PM »

Thanks I guess I will just have to make it out there. Anyone going out there soon.
somebodys_eaten_dan

LaSalle-Peru

Sport

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 06:05:15 PM »

Thanks I guess I will just have to make it out there. Anyone going out there soon.

I will probably be out there Friday, Saturday and Sunday, and would be happy to show you around.
Goosegarland

Beginner

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 09:17:24 PM »

Its funny that I grew up out there and they never let bikers on the trails.  Now that I have to drive 45 minutes they are all about it.   Figures.  I plan on making it out there Sunday if it is nice.   Can't wait to see what has become of it.
mo50177

lombard

Expert

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 11:42:33 PM »

Sunday I can ride there whAt TIME? Does it dry out quick?
somebodys_eaten_dan

LaSalle-Peru

Sport

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2010, 01:04:00 AM »

Its funny that I grew up out there and they never let bikers on the trails.  Now that I have to drive 45 minutes they are all about it.   Figures.  I plan on making it out there Sunday if it is nice.   Can't wait to see what has become of it.

We got things rolling in 2008

Sunday I can ride there whAt TIME? Does it dry out quick?

It drys out very quickly, especially this time of year.  You should be good to go Sunday. 
Not sure yet if im headed to the chicrosscup race or not; either way there will be somebody out there to show you around.  What time do you plan on riding?
sociologysal

Beginner

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2011, 10:24:36 PM »

Rode Matthiessen yesterday.  It was really great even though it kicked my ass a bit.  I would recommend it.  The elevation change is crazy.  the trails are really nicely done - the folks at BikeIV (Bike Illinois Valley) deserve a lot of credit.  Great views of the river.  It is about 2 miles south of the Grand Bear Lodge on Route 178.  Turn into the southern entrance of Mathiessen Park.  It's the entrance for the Vermillion River Area.  Fun ride similar to Palos or Kettle but less mileage than Kettle and maybe less mileage than Palos, but worth a trip.  Made it in under 2 hrs.
somebodys_eaten_dan

LaSalle-Peru

Sport

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 10:46:40 AM »

Rode Matthiessen yesterday.  It was really great even though it kicked my ass a bit.  I would recommend it.  The elevation change is crazy.  the trails are really nicely done - the folks at BikeIV (Bike Illinois Valley) deserve a lot of credit.  Great views of the river.  It is about 2 miles south of the Grand Bear Lodge on Route 178.  Turn into the southern entrance of Mathiessen Park.  It's the entrance for the Vermillion River Area.  Fun ride similar to Palos or Kettle but less mileage than Kettle and maybe less mileage than Palos, but worth a trip.  Made it in under 2 hrs.

Glad you enjoyed Matthiessen. 

I'm not trying to scold sociolgysal here but just want to take the opportunity to let everyone know that the trails are closed and probably won't be open for a week or two.  Trails are in great shape, but IDNR has opened them yet.   
sociologysal

Beginner

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 02:04:01 PM »

Woops...uh, sorry, dnr.    Seriously, though, thanks for the update.  I tried hard to research it before going but found very little info about the trails and thought it was a shame because the trails were so nice.  Anyone know any reliable sources to get info about the trails?  I called the phone number and it said "all trails are open, though wet in some spots."  However, the actual trails were all dried out and rode great.  Anyway, would love more Mathiessen info if anyone knows where to get it.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: