Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: You Can Help at a CAMBr Workday...Without Doing Trail Work!!! (Read 11805 times)
CrAsHaNdBuRn
CAMBr Member

Lombard

Pro

Chapter: South
Type: Family Basic

« on: April 26, 2012, 03:20:24 PM »

Despite the long riding season this year, great weather, fantastic trail conditions, and  MANY new trail possibilities at Palos Forest Preserve and soon Raceway Woods-

Trail work day attendance is DOWN.

DID YOU KNOW??? That physical work with tools, shovels, etc. is NOT the only way to help out at work days?
Here are some ways you can help that donít require getting dirty, buggy, or sweaty:

1.Work Day FOOD! Every weekend workday is followed by a meal provided by CAMBr.

If cooking is your thing, we LOVE when people cook for the workers.You can set up and BBQ at your leisure while trail work is taking place, and the workers will help you pack up and clean up. This job will get you lots of smiles, and DOUBLE workday attendance points (which are used at the end of the year in prize drawings)!

If we do not have volunteers to cook, we are happy to place an order at a local restaurant, but we still need volunteers to pick the food up, and get it ready.  

2.Work Day PR/Promotion!

Each and every workday presents CAMBr with the opportunity to show riders and forest preserve users what we do, who we are, and spread the word about mountain biking in Chicago. We love to have people talking to new riders, experienced riders, hikers, etc. and letting them know who the people digging in the woods are, and what they are doing. We have trail maps to distribute, a website with trail conditions to promote, and trail workers to recruit. Got the gift of gab? Come spread the WORD!!!

3.Work Day Sponsorship!

Occasionally, we have a local business, individual, or other entity sponsor a workday. This not only provides added incentive for individuals to come to the specific workday, but promotes the sponsor.

This year, we have workdays sponsored by:
   -Richardís Bicycles
   - XXX Racing Team
   - Half Acre Brewing
   - Nancy Fallon-Houle, P.C.

Sponsorship can come in many forms, such as donation of the post-work day meal, beer and trail workers for the day, swag (t-shirts, hats, etc.), and many more. If you are interesting in sponsoring a workday, please contact Marcin, our PR director, mandruszkiewcz@cambr.org .

4.OTHER IDEAS??!?

We are always looking for input on how to improve the work day experience and how to entice more volunteers. If you have any ideas, please go to http://cambr.org and message or email any of the board members. We love hearing from you!!!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 01:47:22 PM by CrAsHaNdBuRn » Logged
fat-tyr
CAMBr Board Member
CAMBr South Trail Director

lockport

Pro

Type: Individual Basic

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 08:34:59 PM »

How can I get out of working?

If you can't make the turns....take off the training wheels.
IllinoisRider
CAMBr Board Member
CAMBr North Treasurer

Slow but steady is my way

DuPage County

Pro

Chapter: North

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 08:39:12 PM »

Get fired.
lml427
CAMBr Board Member
Marketing Director

Semi-Pro

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 09:05:06 PM »

Trade you!

2009/11 Mojo SL 650B
2001/03 GT i-drive B6'r
I've never regretted a ride I've done but I regret each and every one I've missed.
adhd-tv

Pro

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 09:06:42 PM »

Do what I did last year... that was super fun.

Sting or Bee Stung
CrAsHaNdBuRn
CAMBr Member

Lombard

Pro

Type: Family Basic

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 08:13:27 AM »

Move to Jurassic Park 
fat-tyr
CAMBr Board Member

lockport

Pro

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 09:16:39 AM »

No love here.

lml427
CAMBr Board Member
Marketing Director

Semi-Pro

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 08:02:23 PM »

Now is a good time to help out anyway you can!

2009/11 Mojo SL 650B
2001/03 GT i-drive B6'r
I've never regretted a ride I've done but I regret each and every one I've missed.
Hand/of/Midas

I really like bicycles, beer, drums, snakes, etc..

Plano IL

Semi-Pro

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 12:08:46 PM »

I am going to make an effort to get to some more things in the future, it's harder working weekends. Days that i am not at North Central and/or the Fire Dept are few.

I am kinda surprised workday attendance is down. At the fire dept i am a part of(small town volunteer) we have had a number of unemployed members with lots of free time putting in a lot of work these last few years. 
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 12:11:16 PM by Hand/of/Midas » Logged

undercover
CAMBr Board Member
CAMBr South President

Pro

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 01:48:42 PM »

Your trail working hours also count towards Community Service hours!

Riding bikes. It's what we do
rsb
CAMBr Member

Frankfort, IL

Sport

Type: Individual Supporter

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2012, 07:36:23 PM »

I think the first step to getting more participation for workdays is communication:  Early and often.

I usually look at the CAMBr calendar every week or so for board meetings, work days, special event rides, etc.  Sometimes the trail workdays are on the calendar (e.g., 10/27) but sometimes they aren't (e.g., 11/10).  If possible, two or three weeks notice helps some of us to juggle the "honey-do" list with more meaningful work... Like building trails.  :-)

Having trail workdays posted on the "CAMBr-Palos" Facebook page is great!  Aside from looking at the calendar, that's the way I usually found out about trail workdays.  The e-mail blasts are another good way to get members' attention.

Thanks,

Rich
lml427
CAMBr Board Member
Marketing Director

Semi-Pro

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2012, 02:32:23 PM »

Rich, We're listening.  Upcoming work days.

2009/11 Mojo SL 650B
2001/03 GT i-drive B6'r
rsb
CAMBr Member

Frankfort, IL

Sport

Type: Individual Supporter

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 11:01:31 AM »

Rich, We're listening.  Upcoming work days.

Thanks Larry!  I'll be there for the 11/24 workday for Palos.

Rich
fat-tyr
CAMBr Board Member

lockport

Pro

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2012, 03:40:43 PM »

I think the first step to getting more participation for workdays is communication:  Early and often.

I usually look at the CAMBr calendar every week or so for board meetings, work days, special event rides, etc.  Sometimes the trail workdays are on the calendar (e.g., 10/27) but sometimes they aren't (e.g., 11/10).  If possible, two or three weeks notice helps some of us to juggle the "honey-do" list with more meaningful work... Like building trails.  :-)

Having trail workdays posted on the "CAMBr-Palos" Facebook page is great!  Aside from looking at the calendar, that's the way I usually found out about trail workdays.  The e-mail blasts are another good way to get members' attention.

Thanks, Sorry Rich I always just post it in the workday section. Now I realize if I put it in the calender it goes there automatically.

Rich

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: