Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Meltdown training tips (Read 28738 times)
EZ

Citizen

« on: June 11, 2014, 08:51:09 AM »

I signed up for the Meltdown and haven't raced since my BMX days way back when. Any tips to share regarding training and preparing for it? I've ridden Palos about once/month the last couple years but not at all this year. I understand race etiquette and excited to get more seriously into this.

Of course I can do last years route and be comfortable with the various parts of the singletrack. Anything else? I'm in decent shape and will ride a lot of "hills" all around to get in better cardiovascular shape since I've been lazy of the last couple months.

Thanks!
EZ
Paulski

=F

Semi-Pro

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 09:06:08 AM »

I'm new to racing as well but I've had good success with interval training.  It allows for a good workout in a shorter amount of time which works well with my work schedule.  Other than that, miles miles miles to build up that base.

The generation of random numbers is too important to be left to chance!
I pick bad lines

CAMBr Secretary

Pro

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 10:13:47 AM »

CAMBr is offering some MTB101 classes and one of the sessions will deal specifically with race training.

http://cambr.org/SMF/index.php?topic=28489.msg160172#msg160172

EZ

Citizen

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 11:19:18 AM »

Good tip on the interval training. I'll have to start that up again. This is a good motivator for me to just get in overall better cardiovascular health.

I saw the MTB classes. Good idea for the race one. It's hard for me to make it out there during the week though.
fat-tyr

CAMBr South Trail Director

lockport

Pro

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 10:48:26 PM »

I'll be driving a golf cart, any tips.

If you can't make the turns....take off the training wheels.
lml427
CAMBr Board Member
Special Projects Director #1

Semi-Pro

Type: Individual Basic

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 05:52:25 AM »

I'll be driving a golf cart, any tips.
Don't tow anything!

Evil Bikes The Following
2009/11 Mojo SL 650B
2001/03 GT i-drive B6'r
I've never regretted a ride I've done but I regret each and every one I've missed.
Paulski

=F

Semi-Pro

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 07:49:30 AM »

How do you guys train for XC when its raining?  I havnt hit Palos all of May and the weather just keeps going on and on with 2 days sun and 2 days rain...I don't have a road bike...yet...but I do have access to a gym...Is a stationary bike going to cut it?

And Stan...tip for the golf cart...dont tip the golf cart =)

machinetwelve

Powered by Plants

Aurora IL

Semi-Pro

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 10:30:45 AM »

Stationary bike should do. Better than nothing. I'd suggest doing intervals on the stationary bike if you have a heart rate monitor. I don't have a trainer but I have rollers and do heart rate intervals on the rollers on rainy days/weeks. I was running  but with a big distance event in the future I don't want to risk an injury. I notice I'm more prone to injuries when running than when cycling.

Former Mountain Biker turned roadie and trail runner.
Zaskar24
CAMBr Member
CAMBr Corporate Scapegoat

I do all my own stunts

Oak Lawn

Pro

Type: Individual Supporter

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 02:16:14 PM »

Do either road miles on your mountain bike or crushed grave if any is close to you.  This way you are on the bike you are going to be racing and gravel can be ridden when wet which adds resistance. 

Just remember.  No full bore race speed training at Palos.  After all, there is an 8 mile per hour speed limit out there everyday of the year except for the day of the Meltdown.

Chris Landwehr 10/10/49-1/1/09 My Mom
Paulski

=F

Semi-Pro

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014, 02:34:55 PM »

I hate the road and I do have gravel close to me(Deer grove and DPR), however its all flooded now...looks like gym biking it is till things dry up...

crazy james

Beginner

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 07:40:18 PM »

Do either road miles on your mountain bike or crushed grave if any is close to you.  This way you are on the bike you are going to be racing and gravel can be ridden when wet which adds resistance. 

Just remember.  No full bore race speed training at Palos.  After all, there is an 8 mile per hour speed limit out there everyday of the year except for the day of the Meltdown.
I never knew that 8 mile an hour rule existed . Now i know why a few people gave me a dirty look when i fly past them whoops. I seen a guy putting a full face helmet on in the lot so i just figured you could go as hard and practice as you wish. I really love these trails and you guys do a great job. Wish there was section only open to going your hardest that goes one way r there any trails in illinois that allow fast riding.Im having a hard time getting that o so good rush while riding fast . I will adjust         
undercover
CAMBr Member
Just a rider

Pro

Type: Individual Supporter

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2014, 07:59:42 AM »

The is no 8 mile rule. There is no official speed limit. Just be mindful of other trail users. Palos is not a bike only trail.
There are many hikers, runners and dog walker out there. There are even people that picnic in the middle of the trails.

Riding bikes. It's what we do
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: