CAMBr Election season is underway! Visit the CAMBr Election Center to participate.
Nominations may be made through November 13th. Elections will be held online November 15th through November 25th.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Muskegon Winter Sports Complex- LUGE etc (Read 66362 times)
thrill
CAMBr Member
"totally landed it"- Hot Rod

Palatine

Citizen

Type: Individual Basic

« on: February 12, 2015, 11:03:05 AM »

Hello CAMBr folks,  Basically having way too much fun skate skiing (I think I have 25 days in this year) at the Muskegon Winter Sports Complex and wanted to share this incredible place with you.  I am good friends with some of the staff there, who are very fun people and have an incredible facility and I wanted to make sure the CAMBr crew knows about it.
http://www.msports.org/snowstatus

Luge is incredible fun (hitting an ice banked turn at 35 MPH is a good thing), hockey, ice skating through the forest, xc skiing, snowshoeing all available 10-10 every day.  They also have a party tent available and I think its possible to rent the luge run as a group during the week.

The complex is located within the Muskegon State Park which is right on the beach, which is infinite and beyond beautiful, and a bit dangerous too- itís a good idea to have a couple people, crampon type things and be roped in if you are getting close to the water. I know they have a yurt that can be rented, but winter camping is also available- right in the dunes next to the beach, which is right across the street from the sports complex.
http://www.michigandnr.com/parksandtrails/Details.aspx?type=SPRK&id=475

There is also incredible trail (probably 15-20 miles with loops) and backcountry skiing in the forested dunes at Hoffmaster State Park.
http://www.michigandnr.com/parksandtrails/Details.aspx?type=SPRK&id=457

Its definitely colder and snowier here than Chicago and conditions are currently very good, but you should check weather & call the complex hotline before you come if you intend to luge. The downtown also has a hockey team & a few good eateries and brewpubs.
Hope to see y'all soon, Will
thrill
CAMBr Member

Palatine

Citizen

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 06:01:27 PM »

Just a reminder to anyone who is aching for fresh snow within 4 hrs in Muskegon- snowshoe, xc backcountry skiing or groomed, luge, whatever - this weekend will be perfect, and conditions still look very good through next weekend but with less new snow. Appears to be a warming trend in a couple weeks. 
thrill
CAMBr Member

Palatine

Citizen

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 02:06:24 PM »

I have been skate skiing so much lately until yesterday- I missed how good the backcountry skiing/shoeshoeing has gotten- a base of at least 18" of packed powder.  Best backcountry session I've ever had in 25 years of xc skiing.  Its steeper, deeper and cheaper than what I can describe. 

thrill
CAMBr Member

Palatine

Citizen

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 10:25:55 AM »

Another 4 inches added... more on its way this week. Really screwed up the perfect firm float for my skis.  Now I want (need) telemark skis.  Make it stop, please make it stop... 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: