Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2015 Course Length? (Read 21442 times)
dbest83

Beginner

« on: July 28, 2015, 03:45:40 PM »

Can someone confirm what the course distance will be this year? The Palos Meltdown website seems to indicate that the Pro/Expert race will be 39 miles, which seems quite extreme. World Cup XC races tend to be about 20 miles long.

Also, is this a USA Cycling event? I see the class structure is the same, but there is no mention of USA Cycling. If it is not, will categories be enforced based on a riders USA Cycling license or how will categories be enforced? Can a Cat 1 race Sport? Can a Cat 3 race the Pro/Expert race?

Thanks for your input. Lack of a course map/description other than major changes is giving me pause on registering as I like to know what I am getting myself into. I'm sure there are others that would appreciate more info as well.
Red Snail Racing
CAMBr Member
CAMBr Executive Director

Working together we will build a better ride.

Pro

Type: Individual Basic

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 06:39:05 PM »

This is not a USAC event. We have similar classes because at one time the Meltdown was the Midwest Regional Championship.  However we no longer support USAC, as the one day license for people to race once a year is an insult to our members. USAC gets $10 from each one day racer and the racer gets nothing, zip, nada in return. Didn't seem like much of a value to us.

The course length will be announced the on packet pick up, when we announce the course, sorry no previews. But I'm pretty sure the Expert class won't be 40 miles. But we do want everyone to be challenged.

As far as what class to race in, as we are not part of the USAC Overlord program you can race in what ever class you desire. However if someone is a Cat 2, we certainly hope they don't register for novice or sport, just to stand on the podium.  Sandbagging isn't cool and the race announcer is not above a little public shaming if someone wins by a mile.  Riders know where they should be competitive and we hope that is where they will register.  This is a race and we would like to see everyone actually put themselves in a position where they have to race hard to win, 1st 2nd or 20th.

I understand if racers coming from a road or cross background find this unstructured and allows people to self regulate, but mountain biking has a tradition of honor and fun, in winning and losing, and we would like to keep it like that.

If you are getting advice from me, I would strongly suggest you get a second opinion.
Paulski

=F

Semi-Pro

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 10:02:07 AM »

Any chance you can hint at how much of the course will be new trail? 10% 25%?

The generation of random numbers is too important to be left to chance!
dbest83

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 10:49:11 AM »

Thanks for the response. I can certainly understand not going with USAC for this event. Many races in Michigan (where I raced for many years) do not use USAC for many of the same reasons.

I was not implying or encouraging sandbagging. I was just wondering if you were still going to try to enforce USAC rules as the categories distinctions are the same as USAC. I do find that the honor system typically does work well, and sandbaggers should indeed get called out for what they are. As a long time mountain bike racer I agree that mountain biking has a tradition of honor and fun and I applaud your effort to keep it that way.

Looking forward to a great race!
waf250

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 12:59:59 PM »

Completely agree regarding sandbagging.  If you ride consistently and fast (on road or off), you should probably at least be in Sport...unless you're a road biker who has never ridden off road single-track before.  Another way to say it would be...if you're averaging a lap time that is around the top third of riders in the next class up, then you should likely be in that next class.  Let Novice Class be for the Novice riders (less experienced / trained), Sport for Sport, etc.  If you're really not sure, ask someone from Cambr and they can help you decide.  Use your best judgement.  Just my 2 cents on the subject 
Red Snail Racing
CAMBr Member
CAMBr Executive Director

Pro

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 09:39:36 PM »

Any chance you can hint at how much of the course will be new trail? 10% 25%?

That would depend on what class you are in.  Not all the classes will see the same course.   
Now ya'll got something to think about.   

If you are getting advice from me, I would strongly suggest you get a second opinion.
Paulski

=F

Semi-Pro

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 08:16:51 AM »

Sport 

The generation of random numbers is too important to be left to chance!
waf250

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 12:22:48 PM »

2 questions....

1) Seems there is still work left to do on new trails.  Is there any chance the ones planned to be used for the race won't be ready, and therefore have to be existing only?

2) In certain sections of new trails, they appear to run along side/near existing.  Would there be sections of 2 seperate paths on the course, or will there be only 1 route with anything else taped/blocked off?  I love the idea of 2 paths as long as they are similar, to enable passing on what would otherwise be single-track. However, if one section is a bit more difficult and/or longer than the other, then a better ride could potentially get passed not knowing what is the best route (since we don't know it in advance).  And naturally, there would be a chance of crashes on trail convergence.  Therefore, I would assume only 1, possibly newer, route? 
Red Snail Racing
CAMBr Member
CAMBr Executive Director

Pro

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 02:35:19 PM »

And there are 4 more workdays before the race.  Lots of things change in 4 workdays, particularly if all the 230 currently registered racers come out to help. (Which by the way, is the best way to learn the changes to the trails that might be on the course)

It will all be clear on race day grasshoppers.

waf250

Beginner

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 03:16:22 PM »

lol, ok  . Well, my hats off to everything Cambr does and all the volunteers to make riding these trails (including creating new ones) and the yearly meltdown possible!!!    .  I can only get down there a handful of times a year, but those times mean a lot.  Putting a race together is so much work, let alone trying to complete new trails before race day...you are all truly amazing!!  Looking forward to the race and I'll stop asking questions now, lol.  I'm still a little bummed though that the form wouldn't let me order a large shirt even though I registered on the 26th 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: