Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Turn which way?? (Read 27532 times)
waf250

Beginner

« on: August 10, 2015, 02:26:49 PM »

First of all, a HUGE thanks to Cambr for putting on such a great event (largest in IL!) and all the work that went into it!!    I can't thank you all enough for the race and the trails themselves (not to mention the new ones!).

Unfortunately, there were large groups of Novice riders that turned/went the wrong way during the race due to course confusion on more than 1 occasion  .  Red trail (after Ravines) not being blocked or having a race marshal was one of the biggest confusion spots, along with the start/finish (unclear direction).  It definitely frustrated many who turned incorrectly only to have to turn back around, etc.  Some women were also impacted since they went ahead of a wave of riders (who had to be re-started) who would have otherwise been in front and not caused nearly as much of an issue.  When the ladies were caught by the faster group, they were essentially forced to stop completely (after Ravines) and let them go by, before getting back on the trail.  A race can never be perfect, but riders should clearly know, and/or be directed which way to go.  And the trails were very well marked, except a couple spots.

If it's a case of more volunteers, I will pledge now that I'll help the day before or morning of the race next year (if I am able to come and there is a 2016 Meltdown, and I hope so!), as a clearly marked race course is critical.

Still, it was overall fun and a great challenge.  So thank you again for doing this event!!   
hardtail29er

Itasca

Beginner

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 04:26:10 PM »

Yep, I agree with everything you just posted. It was a blast and the course was great. And this is coming from a rider who took a wrong turn at that unmarked intersection.

http://cambr.org/SMF/index.php?topic=29502.0

Even so, that was my most fun race to date, and that unmarked section is going to make for some great stories for years to come!
Red Snail Racing
CAMBr Member
CAMBr Executive Director

Working together we will build a better ride.

Pro

Type: Individual Basic

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 05:24:47 PM »

I'm glad you have a good time and sorry about the missing course markings.  That intersection was very well marked and someone removed all the markings.  it was not a case of poor course marking, it was sabotage.

This was the first time in 9 years someone intentionally messed around with the course, during the race. We didn't have a marshal at that corner as it was safe and well marked.  Next year we will have to plan for this type of activity as well.

And people wonder why we can't have nice things.

If you are getting advice from me, I would strongly suggest you get a second opinion.
ridingillini
CAMBr Member

August 5, 2018: Palos Without Limits

Semi-Pro

Type: Individual Fat Tire Friend

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 10:02:06 PM »

I know that what I'll say here won't change anything but the organizers sent no fewer than 3 people to address the issue once it was discovered. They had a pretty good response system and acted with urgency.

Ride until you are high and then ride some more.
hardtail29er

Itasca

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 10:28:46 PM »

I saw one of the workers running down the trail to that intersection with some tape or something, and she was running full speed! I'm sure they got that all fixed up jiffy quick once they found out about it.
waf250

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 09:50:54 AM »

Red Snail, thanks for the explanation!    I wondered if someone removing tape/signs might have been the cause since you are all usually so well organized.  Though it had been 5 years since I last raced, I was in the first Meltdown through the 2010 race...and yeah, never encountered anything like that before, or at any other races.

Luckily, it didn't hurt my results too much, maybe 2-3 places in my group I would guess, nbd.  A stupid crash early (about 1 mile in) was what knocked me out of a Top 3 or 5 finish  .  And I was mad at myself because I should've known which way to go, but after crashing and expending a ton of energy trying to re-pass people, I was just following those close in front of me after Ravines.  Oh well, next year! And I agree with Hardtailer that it appeared you responded as quickly as you could...I saw the woman marshal coming up the trail to seal it off.

Thanks again as always!! 
undercover
CAMBr Member
Just a rider

Pro

Type: Individual Supporter

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 11:41:19 PM »

We sent no less then 3 riders in the morning to patrol the trails and check the markers. All the tape was up when they patrolled the trails.

I was patrolling the multi just before the novice race and did run into a rider, who was not aware that there was a race in process. When I asked where he came up, he said up Hociman. That trail was taped off in 5 spots. 

We are going to seal off the race course even earlier next year to prevent this from happening again.

As far as the "warm up loop", we fucked up. Gate was switched too early,  first wave was mistaken for the entire novice group.

Sorry for your experience.

bb

Riding bikes. It's what we do
Bikebot6000
CAMBr Member