Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: riding in the Pacific Northwest (Read 25796 times)
johnjr75

Sport

« on: August 24, 2015, 04:15:51 PM »

I'm considering moving to the Portland area and I couldn't help but notice the plethora of MTB trails available. My question to anyone familiar with this area is how, given the amount of rainy days, do people manage to enjoy these trails? I know the forests and soil are different then that of the Midwest, but surely they must get sloppy and erode from wet usage?

What's it like riding out there?
twntysxthstwoodsmn

La Grange Park

Sport

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 01:44:37 PM »

It's a completely different game.   The trails and the riding.

Soil is way different.   We live in a flood plain on black dirt with no where for water to go.  There, you ride on mountains or in high deserts among rocks, sand and huge pine forests on trails with big elevation change and lots of bench cuts.  Water has few places to collect (on trails) and lots of trees to soak it right up.

Its also a different kind of rain out there.  It all depends where you are.  If your by the coast, It can almost be like a rain forest.  In areas like Bend and farther south&east,  it could mist/light rain for days.  We can get as much water here in a few hour thunder storm as they get in a week of on/off showers. 

The riding is really really good.  You won't be disappointed.  Unless you don't like climbing.
johnjr75

Sport

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 02:19:35 PM »

Thanks, that makes sense. We'll see what happens.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: