Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Chain Tensioner Recommendation? (Read 1060 times)
DennisTheMenace

Beginner

« on: July 09, 2017, 07:55:34 PM »

Sup CAMBR!

New to the club, long-time rider, first time poster.  Looking for some sage advice.

I have a 2012 Trek Fuel EX8 MTB and looking to install a tensioner to reduce chain slap.  Back in '93, I installed a Bullet Bros Chain tensioner on my '91 Trek Antelope (yea, bought that before we had cell phones...) and it's still going strong.  Was going to try and install the Bullet Bros on the Fuel, but then I figured, like most things, technology kinda improves over time...

I'm still running 3 chainrings in front, and have no plans to change that.  However, I need to do something about chain slap.

Can anyone recommend a few options for a chain tensioner?

Many thanks,
Dennis
Andrew Z

Beverly, IL

Beginner

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 12:03:54 AM »

So, I think like most people, the first thing I would suggest would be dumping some gears. Maybe just switching to a 2x (and subsequently install a shorter hanger).
      However, I believe this bike comes with 10 speed out back, correct?? If you have a clutched rear derailleur you can always just adjust your clutch to make that stiffer. I believe there are also two spots to set the overall hanger spring tension.
      I was also just listening to a throwback episode of The Singletracks Podcast and they mentioned the Bionicon C.Guide V.02. They spoke highly of it and online review seem to reflect that. But, I'll always take Jeff and Aaron's word for a product haha. Here's a link to the guide:

http://reviews.mtbr.com/bionicon-c-guide-chain-guide-longterm-review

Hopefully that was at least somewhat helpful.

"When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race."
     -H.G. Wells
DennisTheMenace2
CAMBr Member

Beginner

Type: Individual Basic

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 08:13:02 PM »

Andrew Z

Many thanks for all the info.   
Yep, I think you're right - time to drop down to at least two gears.  The more I think about it, I really don't have any need for that Granny gear - not sure that I've ever even used it!

Will definitely be giving the Bionicon C.Guide Chain Guide a shot - looks like a great idea.

See you guys at Meltdown,
Dennis the Menace
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: