CAMBr Election season is underway! Visit the CAMBr Election Center to participate.
Nominations may be made through November 13th. Elections will be held online November 15th through November 25th.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lets Talk GPS or apps that can help me not get lost... (Read 831 times)
maxima

nnn

Citizen

« on: September 27, 2017, 11:27:15 AM »

So I have the tendency to get turned around on the trails when I try to venture off my usual trails at Palos. I was wondering if their is an app or GPS that will give you turn by turn directions in case you get lost.  I do carry a map and figured it out when lost before when exploring new trails but there has to be something out there where you can set at the start of your ride, and if you need it get you back to your starting position when lost.  Can anyone recommend an app or GPS they like or use?

Thanks in Advance
h82fail

Beginner

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 09:38:03 AM »

Strava? It has all the trails on the map so you can see where the turns are and how to get back.   You can also make routes ahead of time and use it for turn by turn directions.
UrgentUnguent
CAMBr Member
The soothing salve

Arlington Heights

Expert

Type: Individual Basic

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 01:56:53 PM »

MTB project is pretty good, tough trees and valleys will pose problems with anything. MTP Project lists several of the trails too.

https://www.mtbproject.com/mobile-app
Red Snail Racing
CAMBr Board Member
CAMBr Executive Director

Working together we will build a better ride.

Pro

Type: NMBP Patroller

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 09:32:42 AM »

Not to discourage technology, I use a Garmin watch to track my time and distance, (for no reason other than curiosity) but there are a lot of maps on the trails at Palos now days and if you do get turned around, its never takes you too far out of your way before you find another map.  And getting lost is a great reason to stretch out your ride a little when you can say, I would have been home sooner, but I got turned around, sorry. 

If you are getting advice from me, I would strongly suggest you get a second opinion.
BikingInTheWind

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 12:32:48 PM »

I haven't used it in a while, but Waze is my favourite GPS app. User created maps and trails so the more people that use it in Chicago the better the maps are.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: