Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Just bought a Novara Piedra a couple weeks ago (Read 495 times)
Brian60077
CAMBr Member

Beginner

Type: Individual

« on: August 06, 2018, 07:02:44 AM »

I was getting tired of riding my mid 1980's schwinn mesarunner since it is a steel frame and heavy and I work as a bike messenger with uber. was looking at craigslist in the chicago area and found this novara piedra listed for $40.00. person selling it said he only rode it lke 3 or 4 times and the reason he was selling it is he has to move out of the country back to italy to help his dad who has serious medical issues. I went and looked at it and it looked brand new so i bought it. it is a 24 speed with Shimano Alivio components, a front shock and disk brakes. I was trying to find a Cannondale for a decent price but the few i found the people selling them on craigslist were flakes. went to try and meet one guy 3 times since he was less than a mile from me and he never showed for the set meetings. Last week i had a food delivery to a pawn shop in the area and found a Cannondale M500 thet was converted to more of a cruiser type bike with the hybrid type tires, cruiser style handlebars and no front shock and rim brakes and is a 21 speed. wondering if i should try to make a deal with them for it or keep the Novara since it is new and has the front shock, 24 speeds and disc brakes and maybe save some money and upgrade the drivetrain components during the off season and deal with not having a high end name on the frame. if i did decide to keep the novara, just wondering what would be a decent drivetrain upgrade to do to it. it does ride nice and the front shock does make the 25 to 35 mile daily rides more comfortable with the way the streets are in chicago. kinda think that disc brakes are overkill for street riding and beginner trails. think the novara is maybe 3 to 4 pounds heavier than the cannondale as well weighing in around 25 pounds.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 07:05:35 AM by Brian60077 » Logged
Red Snail Racing
CAMBr Board Member
CAMBr Executive Director

Working together we will build a better ride.

Pro

Type: NMBP Patroller

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 03:56:07 PM »

Sorry for the late reply.  No reason to get a differnt bike, the disc brakes are a huge plus if you are riding on wet streets.  A few extra pounds wount hurt you a whole lot either. Your Novara Piedra is going to be just fine for learning how to ride trails. The Cannondale M500 you are looking at is getting really old and I don't think you will find it better than the Piedra on trails.  

Tires will make a bigger difference on the street and trail.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 04:01:02 PM by Red Snail Racing » Logged

If you are getting advice from me, I would strongly suggest you get a second opinion.
Brian60077
CAMBr Member

Beginner

Type: Individual

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 07:32:18 AM »

I just had a guy come out to the house to give the Novera its first tune up since i have put about 400 miles on it. he claims to have the same bike, and says he likes it far better than his M500. it does ride nice but dont see many like you do of the Cannondales. the guy that did the tune up says it is about the same quality as a entry level specialized or giant.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: