Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Palos winter riding (Read 2606 times)
emaxey

Beginner

« on: December 07, 2018, 03:43:19 PM »

Can anyone provide tips and tricks for winter trail enjoyment? Tires recommended (eg, studs)? What trails are ride-able what to watch out for. How does one avoid serious crashes what time is best. What is the winter riding population what is %peed reduction on snow in tight technical situations?

Thanks.
hog4hire
CAMBr Member

Citizen

Type: Individual Supporter

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 07:52:59 AM »

You'll get lots of opinions on this, but here's how I ride. I put away my regular trail bikes and pull out the fatty. It has studded Dillinger's. I've ridden on frozen lakes and completely iced over ski trails. Never a problem. I'm not fast to begin with, but I do reduce speed just because I like winter riding a lot. The number of cyclists drops way down this time of year and you can find great solitude.
Red Snail Racing
CAMBr Member
CAMBr Executive Director

Working together we will build a better ride.

Pro

Type: Individual Basic

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 12:44:22 PM »

Good question.
1. Make sure the trail is dry or frozen. Riding on muddy trails causes a lot of damage that has to be repaired later by the trail workers.
2. If it gets a bit below freezing overnight, the trails should be ok, for a very early morning ride.  If it gets in the upper 20s and the sun is shining on a trail, it will melt. See #1 and you b=need to head out to the multi-track and back to the parking lot.  Or just ride the multi-track.
3. We all used to ride one bike all year long, so your bike will work fine. BUT, if it is icy your odds of crashing are good and if the snow is deep, it has to be packed down, or forget about it.

Winter riding is fun and you will warm up in a hurry, but your feet and fingers will get cold, so be ready for that. And you will learn as you go.  Pro-tip for keeping your feet warm plastic flat pedals and winter boots.

If you are getting advice from me, I would strongly suggest you get a second opinion.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: