Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trail Etiquette/Protcol (Read 360 times)
pateo
CAMBr Member

Beginner

Type: Family Basic

« on: July 15, 2019, 03:10:01 PM »

I would like a question answered if possible.  I know there are posted trail etiquette but I would like opinions since I can't seem to find it.  Since the trails are bi-directional who should get the right-of-way on a hill?  I've always lived by the code of the downhill riders should yield to the uphill riders.  We had an incident where me and my girlfiend were going uphill and a very large group of riders (12+) where descending very fast with no regard, knocking her off the bike.

I understand that we are all out there to do what we enjoy but there needs to be some common sense for everyone's safety.  I know I will probably get roasted for saying this but a group that large all at once seems to be dangerous. 
drbell
CAMBr Board Member
CAMBr South Director

Norman, OK

Expert

Type: Individual Supporter

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 06:04:11 AM »

I agree with you that downhill riders should yield, but in the end it's more about good sense and being courteous and respectful of other riders. I suspect this happened over the weekend when the traffic at Palos was some of the most I've ever seen at Palos. People do like the social aspect of riding in a group and we really can't stop that, but we do have narrow trails and slowing down when passing people won't kill anyone.
Jewalicious

CAMBr South Secretary

A bike can't stand alone; ....it's 'two tired' !!

Darien IL

Pro

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 03:58:39 PM »

Never like hearing that situation.   A polite and sensible rider will allow someone struggling to get up a hill and not give them any more to worry about.   A polite and sensible rider will let a large group of fast riding enthusiasts come charging down the hill if they hear them in time and have time to move aside to let them go thru.     The rule is downhill bound should be prepared to yield by default - Or at least slow down ALOT and move far aside to let the struggling up hiller get by safely...(while apologizing profusely and owing them a beer)    Unfortunately people are not always polite nor sensible.   On busy days at Palos, you really do have to listen and make judgement calls.    Think of it like a busy day on  the lake.

14 Niner EMD9 NEW-FOR SALE // Gravity Deadeye SS (Beer Bike) //11 Trek HiFi Plus// 95 Manitou HT Comp17
Black Silverado / Red Miata
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: