Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Freeride committee (Read 17427 times)
Seanbikes
CAMBr Board Member
CAMBr West President

Gingers do have a soul

Romeoville

Pro

Chapter: West
Type: Individual Supporter

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2009, 10:40:45 AM »

What time are we meeting? 

I'm trying to be 12 places at once this weekend and need to figure out my schedule.

Dream it, Build it, Ride it
kevin marley
CAMBr Board Member
Plainfield Bike Park Coordinator

Pro

Type: Individual

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2009, 01:26:13 PM »

7:00 PM at Two Brothers Brewery - How many people do we think are coming? We should probably make a reservation.

Here's a map:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=++30W315+Calumet+Ave.+W++Warrenville,+IL+60555&oe=UTF-8&rls=com.ubuntu:en-US:unofficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl&ei=yIOtSbjZJ4XGMuKVpeAE&oi=property_suggestions&resnum=0&ct=property-revision&cd=1
I pick bad lines
CAMBr Board Member
CAMBr West Treasurer

Naperville

Pro

Type: Individual Supporter

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2009, 01:31:11 PM »

I might drop by a bit late if you're still around. I'll call you when I leave the place that I'll be at.

Huckster McPlush

MidwestDownhillAdvocacy.Com

Marengo, IL

Semi-Pro

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2009, 06:09:13 PM »

Im all for it!!!!
rrogers

Yorkville, IL

Semi-Pro

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2009, 08:20:04 AM »

Can a tentative agenda be put together for this meeting to optimize everyone's time, which will also give everyone time to formalize their thoughts?
kevin marley
CAMBr Board Member

Pro

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2009, 10:35:17 AM »

Items to bring:
Photos or drawings of park design elements and technical trail features.
Possible locations and land manager contact info.
What role do you envision yourself playing in development of the park.

Agenda:

1. CAMBr West park building process.  Kevin to discuss what it takes to get a park built.  - 30 min.

a. A park coordinator and a dedicated crew.
b. Conceptual design  (actual design will be dictated by location)
c. Non-profit organization with insurance and resources.  Already have that with CAMBr
d. Potential locations
e. Proposal 

2. Discuss roles and responsibilities.  Be prepared to disucuss your role in getting a park built. - 30 min.

Think about what role you will play on this committee. This process will take at a minimum of two years to accomplish, the wheels of government turn slowly. We will need one person to be the park coordinator, the driving force behind this project who will stick it out until completion. This person will be in charge of handling the land manager relationship and oversee the design of the park.  We will need trailbosses to help with construction and building.  We will need people to run fundraisers, handle media relations, get sponsors.   We will need locals to come to meetings and gather support.

3. Discuss locations.  Add new possible locations. Rate locations based on feasibility - 30 min.

a-Greene Valley Forest Preserve off of Rt. 53 in Woodridge.
b-the small wooded area between Berkeley and Elmhurst just off the prairie path.
c-Hidden Lake Forest Preserve on Rt. 53 and Butterfield
d-Wheeler Park in Geneva
e-Raceway Woods in Carpentersville Rt. 31
f-find old Quarries like SWK
g-Little Woods in St. Chuck off Rt. 31
h-Pilcher Park in Joliet

4 - Park design - Create a list of features of the park.  Trails vs. Park layout.  Create short list of construction standards.  - 30 min.

Expected output from our meeting:
1. Material to create conceptual design
2. Short list of possible locations
3. Possible candidates for Park Coordinator and trailboss positions. Roles and responsibilites.
JIRAHNA-MO
CAMBr Board Member
Marketing Director

bicaw

Crest hill

Expert

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2009, 04:12:33 PM »

As much as i'd like to, i will not be able to make this meeting. There are some potential spots in Lockport(multiple), Romeoville, and Lemont. EAch of these places has old abandoned quarries, LP has some run by the park district, lemont too!
I'll try to gather some of this info up for someone to bring up at the meeting.

Thats cool Pilcher park finally made the list...  Thanks Sean!

ride or die
Jimmy S.
CAMBr Board Member
SWK Trail Coordinator

Team Scoopie

Oswego

Semi-Pro

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2009, 04:39:12 PM »

Freeriding is something new to me... but I most certainly would like to get involved.

Can't make the meeting though... family gathering.

Just hope there will be some information or results for some of us who can not make it.

I need to ride my bike more, I need more time to ride my bike more, I need to finish college so I'll be able to ride my bike and have more time to ride my bike more.
R.Snyder

Agitator In Training

NOT a weight weenie

Hickory Hills

Pro

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2009, 04:50:18 PM »

Missing UFC 96 for it, see you guys there.

2008 Banshee Wildcard
2009 KHE Triple Threat Pro
Your mom.
kevin marley
CAMBr Board Member

Pro

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2009, 12:54:49 PM »

the reservation is for 15 people at 7:30 under the name CAMBr.  See you guys there.

Here's the directions...

http://www.twobrosbrew.com/map.htm
R.Snyder

Agitator In Training

NOT a weight weenie

Hickory Hills

Pro

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2009, 12:23:06 AM »

Well I think that went fairly well, I'm optimistic and hope this goes somewhere.

Beer and burger were both fantastic as well.  Cooked to medium perfection.

2008 Banshee Wildcard
2009 KHE Triple Threat Pro
Your mom.
gobighitmtb
South MTB Class Planner

haulin ass not oates

Batavia

Sport

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2009, 01:07:37 PM »

It was good to meet everyone.  Hopefully most of us will be working together in the near future.  I know that the guys that I ride and build with as well as myself liked what we heard last night and are willing to take this all the way.  We look forward to meeting with everyone again soon, until then it looks like we will be doing some reconnaissance work.

Los Locos kick your ass, Los Locos kick your face, Los locos kick your balls into outer-space
kevin marley
CAMBr Board Member

Pro

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2009, 02:08:22 PM »

Yea, it was good meeting you guys.  Next time we get together we will need to find a better place suited for talking.

I would like to try to schedule a skype call for in 2 or 3 weeks.  Do you guys have a preference on the day?
Jimmy S.
CAMBr Board Member
SWK Trail Coordinator

Team Scoopie

Oswego

Semi-Pro

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2009, 10:17:28 PM »

that would be cool, usually any day after 7:00pm. I really would like to get involved.

I need to ride my bike more, I need more time to ride my bike more, I need to finish college so I'll be able to ride my bike and have more time to ride my bike more.
kevin marley
CAMBr Board Member

Pro

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2009, 11:22:34 AM »

Just a little more information from our meeting on Saturday Mar. 7th.

We had our first meeting of the Freeride Coalition. We are a group of riders who are dedicating to creating freeride trail features in the Chicagoland area.
Our meeting location didn't work out very well for the number of people we had in attendance. We had approx. 18 people show up to show their support.

Although it was hard to talk from end of the table to the other, we were able to meet with a crew of freeride builders from the Kane County area.  They have been building illegal trails, but are tired of having their work torn down and are looking for help from CAMBr to help them legalize a freeride park with the Kane County forest preserve.  The Kane County crew will be electing a trail coordinator to head up this project and will be doing homework to find out the land managers for a couple of locations where they think a park could be possible.  We discussed the trailboss model and the CAMBr system with them.  They appeared to like what CAMBr has to offer them.  They seem to have a solid crew of workers and volunteers to help make this project come to life.  The Kane county crew brought pictures of TTF's that they have built and would like to build and the potentially new location.  They also agreed that having a facility that caters to all skill levels as well as incorporating singletrack XC users is the best approach to getting approval from land managers. 

The secondary agenda from this meeting was to form a group of riders to help the Palos Trail coordinators team with building freeride trail features.  At the recent Palos general meeting the Palos team discussed the need for freeride featuresat the Palos trail system.  We feel that we can help the Palos Team with construction standards and laying out freeride trails.  Nick K. suggested creating a "study trail" that contains all of the concerns that the CCFPD has regarding risk, liability, and any other issues with technical trail features on a trail.  We are looking for members to help drive the partnership with the Palos Trail committee and work with them to create a "study trail"  with these features. 

We will be doing our next meeting via skype conference call within the next couple of weeks.  The next face to face meeting will not be at a bar, some possible locations mentioned were at Cycle n Sports shop, or someone's garage.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: