Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Freeride committee (Read 19841 times)
RenegadeRick
CAMBr Board Member
Website Administrator

laissez le bon temps rouler

Mad City

Pro

Chapter: North
Type: Individual

« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2009, 12:03:12 PM »

Sounds like an excellent approach.  Best of luck.

somebodys_eaten_dan

LaSalle-Peru

Sport

« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2009, 06:36:54 PM »

Probably should have read this thread earlier but here in Lasalle-Peru we have a old quarry that has been or is going to be donated to the city of LaSalle to be turned into a park or something.  Would be a great spot because it is immediately adjacent to town and would have a lot of promise as an XC area too, only problem is that it might be a little far from where you are looking. 

What are you looking for in a "study trail" and what do you want it to be?  We might have an awesome trail for you to work with at Matthiessen?  We would like to make this trail a freeride trail anyhow so it might work well for everyone.
kevin marley

Pro

« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2009, 10:32:47 PM »

The study trail is a method that has worked with the CCFPD at Palos before.  From what I understand it's their way of saying they'll give it a try.

At Matthiessen if you don't have a restriction against it, I would say you could just build one. If you are looking for help with it, I am sure you could get people to come out to lend a hand or maybe help with design and construction tips, but there should be a local crew maintaining it. 

That quarry sounds like a great location, but as fun as it sounds, it would be too far for us to be there all the time.   
euroford

louisville, co

Semi-Pro

« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2009, 08:56:44 AM »

I'd be very interested in helping out with the Palos study trail.

gobighitmtb
South MTB Class Planner

haulin ass not oates

Batavia

Sport

« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2009, 12:09:52 PM »

For all of those who want to be involved in the FreeRide Committee project I suggest that you log on to http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/freeridefaction/ .  This has been one of our ways that our group has been keeping in touch with each other as far as rides and build days.  We figured we would invite everyone to come and join the group.  This way you will have at least two reference points to find out what’s going on with the FreeRide Committee.

-D.K.-

Los Locos kick your ass, Los Locos kick your face, Los locos kick your balls into outer-space
Seanbikes
CAMBr Member

Gingers do have a soul

Romeoville

Pro

Chapter: West
Type: Individual Supporter

« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2009, 03:01:09 PM »

I would encourage the use of the "Other Projects" section of the West Chapter forum to keep the info easily located and consolidated. You can find it by clicking here or from the menu.
It can become a little confusing checking multiple places for information on the same subject.  This way also makes it easier to locate any past discussions to refer back to during the planning and implementation of this project.

Don't forget one of the best ways to support this project and mountain biking in the area in general is to become a CAMBr member if you are not already one.   Our power comes through our numbers and the larger our membership the larger our voice is.  You can always drown out an individual but you can't silence the masses.

Dream it, Build it, Ride it
R.Snyder

Agitator In Training

NOT a weight weenie

Hickory Hills

Pro

« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2009, 02:14:35 PM »

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/central-oregon-trail-update-march-2009.html

sound familiar?

I really like how they made the jump art of the trail. You could either jump it, ride the rump like a log over, or just go around the whole thing. Seems really safe from a liability standpoint.
Riding over destroys lips.  Preventing rideovers is the primary reason for building doubles instead of table tops IME.  Tho Marley did bring up a point about how Doubles are much more scary to land owners due to the higher cost of failure.  I could understand why we would want to avoid them when building the legit park.

2008 Banshee Wildcard
2009 KHE Triple Threat Pro
Your mom.
R.Snyder

Agitator In Training

NOT a weight weenie

Hickory Hills

Pro

« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2009, 02:56:47 PM »

...they were made out of wood...the jumps in the video.
my bad, couldn't watch video because I'm at work, I guess I just assumed you were talking about dirt.

EDIT: I just snuck it and and like it even tho that doesn't really look like a fun ride over IMO.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 03:08:18 PM by R.Snyder » Logged

2008 Banshee Wildcard
Your mom.
euroford

louisville, co

Semi-Pro

« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2009, 03:15:10 PM »

riding lips isn't really that big of a deal anyways.  especially if you build for it.  picture this if you will:

lip on the left has the much sought after nice sharp edge that we all love in our double.  lip on the right, has the exact same transition except it has been built up taller to accommodate a large radius edge that will roll well and not be inclined to erode.  under tire, they won't feel any different.

R.Snyder

Agitator In Training

NOT a weight weenie

Hickory Hills

Pro

« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2009, 03:37:18 PM »

riding lips isn't really that big of a deal anyways.  especially if you build for it.  picture this if you will:

lip on the left has the much sought after nice sharp edge that we all love in our double.  lip on the right, has the exact same transition except it has been built up taller to accommodate a large radius edge that will roll well and not be inclined to erode.  under tire, they won't feel any different.

That does seem like it would lessen the effect of rideovers on the lip.  I guess I never really thought of building rideover-friendly lips since it was such an obvious solution to just not pile all that dirt in the middle and build up some extra landing for safety.

2008 Banshee Wildcard
Your mom.
steven_er

Citizen

« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2009, 08:20:09 AM »

hey guys, just remember there is a HUGE difference in dirt jumps and jumps that are part of a trail.
euroford

louisville, co

Semi-Pro

« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2009, 09:13:32 AM »

well....  yes and no.....  the shape of the lip/transition is most depended upon the speed at which the trail is designed to be ridden.  the method of construction depends upon who built them, where and what was available.  for example, the jump trail "boot camp" at winter park resort is built with roll able tables nearly identical in size and transition to the 5' line at plainfield, next to those are larger roll able tables who's size and transition closely mimics the "main line" at the garden.  your not coming into this section with allot of speed, but you have enough downward slope to carry your momentum through on a big bike, but you better not botch it because you'll need that backside pump.   

its called "freeride", as mr. berrecloth said "build whatever you want, if you don't like it, change it".

personally, here in the flatlands, if i'm going to hit jumps, i want some DJ style stuff that i can hit on my hardtail and boost.

one 'north shore' style gap jump got built at the garden with allot of wood and a fairly flat tranny, it got really boring really fast and nobody really hit it.  we'll be taking it down this year.  sure it would be different if we had a dozen of them linked up on a real trail, with some good relief. 

i'm all for hitting some A-line style booters, but that kind of thing requires some serious vertical relief.  runnin 35mph and gappin 30 feet on each jump is likely to eat up any midwest hill awfully damn fast!  heck, marquette and boyne don't even have the room for that kind of stuff! 

well, i'm just ramblin...  god damn i really want to get out and ride my bottlerocket.

Adamanitum

Prison City

Citizen

« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2009, 08:55:41 PM »

i think you missed the point that steve was getting at. dj style is going to be much more vert and small gaps. where shore style is more stretched out jumps and bigger gaps. Which is more suspension friendly coming in to them. Shore style stunts are not built with hardtails in mind. i know it never crosses my mind.

ATJ 
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 08:57:32 PM by Adamanitum » Logged

No ones cares about your 29er
gobighitmtb
South MTB Class Planner

haulin ass not oates

Batavia

Sport

« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2009, 11:11:25 PM »

That looks like an awful lot of resistance at the bottom of those jumps.  Whats the ohm rating on that jump?

Los Locos kick your ass, Los Locos kick your face, Los locos kick your balls into outer-space
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: